Delicious in Dungeon ダンジョン飯 – More Than Just a Fantasy Manga About Eating Monsters
Introduction
When I first picked up Delicious in Dungeon, I honestly didn't expect that much from it.
At first glance, it looked like another fantasy manga built around dungeon exploration, monsters, and adventure. I even assumed it might be one of the many manga adaptations of the kind of web novels that have become popular in Japan in recent years.
But I was quickly proven wrong.
The further I read, the more I realized that Delicious in Dungeon had a surprisingly deep and carefully constructed world behind its comedic premise.
What initially looked like a funny story about adventurers cooking monsters gradually revealed itself to be a much more thoughtful manga about food, life, death, magic, and the relationships between living things.
Overview
Delicious in Dungeon (Dungeon Meshi) is a fantasy manga by Ryoko Kui.
The story follows adventurers exploring a dangerous dungeon. After a disastrous encounter leaves them in a desperate situation, the party has to find a way to survive inside the dungeon without relying on conventional supplies.
Their solution?
Eat the monsters they encounter.
Slimes, giant scorpions, walking mushrooms, dragons, and many other creatures become potential ingredients.
The premise sounds like a comedy, and there is certainly a lot of comedy in the manga. But Delicious in Dungeon gradually expands far beyond that simple idea.
The manga was completed in 14 volumes, giving the story a satisfying beginning, development, and conclusion.
Synopsis
The main character, Laios, is an adventurer exploring a mysterious dungeon with his companions.
After his party suffers a devastating defeat, they return to the dungeon under difficult circumstances. With money and food supplies running low, Laios comes up with an unusual solution: they will obtain their food directly from the dungeon.
That means turning monsters into meals.
At first, this creates many humorous situations. Creatures that would normally be treated as dangerous enemies suddenly become ingredients.
But as the party travels deeper into the dungeon, the story begins to reveal that there is much more to the dungeon than simply monsters and treasure.
The dungeon has its own ecosystem, rules, history, and relationship with magic.
And the more you learn about it, the more fascinating the entire world becomes.
A World That Feels Surprisingly Real
For me, the greatest strength of Delicious in Dungeon is its worldbuilding.
The manga puts an incredible amount of thought into things such as magic, monsters, different races, ecosystems, and the way the dungeon itself functions.
Even though the setting is clearly fantasy, many aspects of the world feel almost as though they could exist in a real ecosystem.
Monsters aren't simply enemies placed in a dungeon because the story needs something for the characters to fight.
They are part of a larger environment.
The same applies to magic and the different races living in this world. The more you read, the more you realize that the author has thought about how these things fit together.
This is one of those manga where I sometimes found myself thinking about the world itself rather than just wondering what would happen next in the story.
It feels like there is far more history and information behind the characters and setting than what is shown directly on the page.
From Comedy to Something Much Deeper
One of the biggest surprises for me was how much the tone of the story changes as you continue reading.
At first, I thought Delicious in Dungeon was mainly going to be a funny dungeon adventure.
And it is funny.
But underneath the comedy, there are much deeper themes.
Food becomes a way of thinking about life.
Eating a monster isn't simply a joke about cooking something unusual. It raises questions about the relationship between humans and other living things, and about where food actually comes from.
The manga also explores life and death in ways that become increasingly important as the story progresses.
The more I read, the more I felt that the idea of eating monsters was not just a gimmick. It was one of the ways the author explores the connection between living things.
That was one of the aspects of the manga that made me think the most.
Magic and the Rules of the World
Another thing I particularly enjoyed was the way magic is treated.
Magic isn't simply something that exists because it is convenient for the story.
The manga gives thought to how magic works and how it fits into the world.
This contributes to the feeling that the setting has its own internal logic.
I especially like fantasy works that make me wonder, "How does this world actually work?"
Delicious in Dungeon does that very well.
The deeper you go into the story, the more you discover about the systems behind the world.
The Characters Have More Depth Than They First Appear to Have
Another impressive aspect of the manga is its characters.
Even though the story often uses comedy, the characters don't feel like simple comedy characters.
They have their own personalities, motivations, backgrounds, and relationships.
In fact, the world is constructed so deeply that I often felt that many of the characters could probably have their own spin-off stories.
That is a sign of particularly strong worldbuilding to me.
A good fictional world should feel larger than the story currently being told.
Delicious in Dungeon gives me that feeling.
There seem to be countless stories that could exist beyond the main narrative.
The Art Style May Not Be for Everyone
If I had to point out one potential weakness, it would probably be the art style.
It has a distinctive look, and I think some readers may need a little time to get used to it.
The other possible issue is the tone.
Even when the story becomes serious, the manga retains its comedic character.
So if you are looking for a completely serious, dark fantasy manga, Delicious in Dungeon might not be exactly what you are looking for.
Personally, though, I think the combination of comedy and serious themes is one of the things that makes the manga interesting.
My Impression
What surprised me most about Delicious in Dungeon was how far it went beyond my initial expectations.
I started reading it thinking it would be a fun dungeon exploration comedy.
Instead, I found a carefully constructed fantasy world filled with ideas about food, life, death, magic, and the relationships between living things.
The deeper I went, the more I became interested in the world itself.
That is probably the biggest compliment I can give this manga.
I didn't just want to know what would happen to the main characters.
I wanted to know more about the world they lived in.
I wanted to know more about the other characters, the different races, the monsters, the dungeon, and the rules behind everything.
Even after finishing the manga, I felt that there was still more I wanted to learn.
A Very Satisfying Ending
Although Delicious in Dungeon isn't an especially long manga, I found the complete story extremely satisfying.
The ending gave me a strong sense of completion.
It felt like a proper conclusion rather than a story that simply stopped.
At the same time, finishing the manga made me want to learn even more about its characters and world.
Fortunately, there is also additional material for readers who want to explore the setting further, including the official Delicious in Dungeon World Guide: Adventurer's Bible Complete Edition.
If you finish the manga and find yourself wanting more information about the world, I think it is well worth checking out.
The Anime
I have also watched the anime adaptation.
The anime does a great job of bringing the world of Delicious in Dungeon to life, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the rest of the story is adapted.
The first season aired in 2024, with 24 episodes.
As of now, the anime has not yet adapted the entire manga, but a second season has been announced for October 2027.
So for anyone who has only watched the anime, there is still a lot more of this world waiting in the manga.
Who Should Read Delicious in Dungeon?
I would especially recommend this manga to people who enjoy:
Fantasy and dungeon adventures
Detailed worldbuilding
Stories about monsters and magic
Food and cooking
Stories that become deeper than they initially appear
Fantasy settings with their own internal logic
Manga that combine comedy with serious themes
And if you watched the anime and enjoyed it, I definitely recommend reading the original manga.
There is much more to discover in the complete story.
Final Thoughts
Delicious in Dungeon is a manga that completely exceeded my expectations.
I initially thought I was picking up a funny dungeon adventure where the characters cooked monsters.
Instead, I found a surprisingly deep fantasy world with carefully constructed rules, fascinating creatures, different races, magic, and characters with enough depth to support countless additional stories.
The idea of eating monsters may be what catches your attention at first.
But the worldbuilding is what kept me reading.
And beneath all the comedy, the manga has some genuinely interesting things to say about food, life, death, and the connections between living things.
If you are looking for a fantasy manga that is funny on the surface but much deeper underneath, I think Delicious in Dungeon is definitely worth reading.
Sometimes, the best meals come with a little more worldbuilding than you expected.
コメント
コメントを投稿