Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind: The Manga Is Much More Than the Movie
If you know Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, there is a good chance you know it through the famous Studio Ghibli anime film.
I did too.
So when I first discovered that Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind was also a manga written by Hayao Miyazaki himself, I was honestly surprised. I had always known the anime, but I had not realized how different—and how much larger—the manga was.
Once I started reading it, I found myself unable to stop.
I ended up staying awake all night and reading the manga from beginning to end.
And after finishing it, I realized that the manga is not simply a comic version of the movie. It is a much larger, darker, and more complicated story.
Overview
Title: Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Japanese title: 風の谷のナウシカ (Kaze no Tani no Naushika)
Author: Hayao Miyazaki
Genre: Fantasy, science fiction, adventure, post-apocalyptic
Original publication: Animage
Original serialization: 1982–1994
Volumes: 7
My rating: ★★★★★
The manga was serialized in Tokuma Shoten's Animage magazine from 1982 to 1994, with interruptions during the production of the anime film and other periods. It was eventually collected into seven volumes.
The anime film was released in 1984, with Miyazaki serving as director, writer, and original creator.
One important thing to know before reading it is that the movie does not cover the entire manga. According to Tokuma Shoten, the film adapts material from roughly the first two volumes, while the manga continues into a much larger story.
That means that even if you know the movie very well, there is still a huge amount of Nausicaä waiting for you in the manga.
Synopsis
The story takes place in a distant future after a catastrophic war known as the Seven Days of Fire destroyed much of human civilization.
The world that remains is dangerous and unfamiliar. A vast toxic forest known as the Sea of Corruption is spreading across the land, inhabited by enormous insects and other strange forms of life.
Nausicaä, the princess of the small Valley of the Wind, has a deep understanding of this strange natural world. Unlike many other people, she does not simply see the creatures and the Sea of Corruption as enemies.
But the world around her is being pulled into war.
Different kingdoms and factions have their own interests, fears, and ambitions. As their conflicts become increasingly complicated, Nausicaä is drawn deeper into a struggle that is much larger than the fate of her own valley.
And this is where the manga begins to become very different from the movie.
Characters
Nausicaä
Nausicaä is, of course, the heart of the story.
She is compassionate and deeply connected to nature, but the manga's Nausicaä is not simply a kind-hearted heroine who wants everyone to live peacefully.
Her ideas can be surprisingly extreme.
There are moments when her beliefs and decisions become difficult to understand, and sometimes even uncomfortable.
That was one of the things I found most fascinating about her.
She is not a character who simply gives the reader an easy moral answer. Instead, she forces us to think about difficult questions ourselves.
Kushana
Kushana is another important character whose role becomes much more complicated in the manga.
The various factions in the story are not simply divided into "good" and "evil." People act according to their own circumstances, loyalties, fears, and ambitions.
This makes the political and military conflicts much more interesting than a straightforward battle between heroes and villains.
Story and Development
This is where the manga really surprised me.
The world of Nausicaä is incredibly detailed.
There are different nations, political interests, religions, technologies, creatures, histories, and competing ideas about how humanity should survive.
At times, I felt that the story was becoming almost too complicated.
There are scenes where I had to stop and think about what was happening and why a particular character or faction was acting in a certain way.
But strangely, I liked that.
The complexity was part of the attraction.
The more I read, the more I wanted to understand this world.
The manga's serialization also lasted for more than a decade, beginning in 1982 and ending in 1994. The story therefore had considerably more room to develop than the 1984 film.
The movie and manga share the same basic world and many important characters, but the manga expands far beyond what the film shows.
If you watched the movie and thought, "I want to know more about this world," the manga is probably exactly what you are looking for.
What Makes This Manga Special?
A world that feels genuinely complicated
The most impressive thing for me is the worldbuilding.
Humanity is already close to collapse, yet people continue to fight among themselves.
Different groups are trying to survive in different ways. They have different goals and different ideas about what should happen to the world.
There is no simple solution.
Watching these factions move according to their own interests creates a feeling of a civilization slowly losing its way.
I found that both sad and strangely familiar.
Nausicaä's ideas
The manga also made me think much more deeply about Nausicaä herself.
Her philosophy can be very sharp and sometimes almost radical.
Rather than simply telling us what is right and wrong, Miyazaki uses Nausicaä to raise difficult questions about humanity, nature, life, death, and the meaning of survival.
Some of her ideas felt almost like revelations to me.
Other times, they made me uncomfortable.
But either way, they made me think.
And I think that is one of the greatest strengths of the manga.
The artwork and storytelling
There is another unusual aspect of the manga.
For readers accustomed to conventional manga, Nausicaä can sometimes feel difficult to read.
Some pages are dense, and it is not always immediately easy to understand the scenery, movement, or relationships between characters.
In some ways, I found it closer to reading an animated film storyboard than a conventional manga.
That may sound like a criticism, but for me, it is actually part of its charm.
It feels very much like Miyazaki.
The drawings and panel layouts sometimes require the reader to slow down and reconstruct the scene in their own mind.
It may not be the easiest manga to read, but I personally like that quality.
My Impression
The biggest surprise for me was how different the manga felt from the anime.
I already knew Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind as an animated film. I thought I understood the story.
Then I read the manga.
And I realized that I had only seen a small part of the world Miyazaki had created.
The depth of the setting was fascinating.
What particularly stayed with me was the way the different factions pursue their own interests while humanity as a whole becomes increasingly confused and divided.
There is something tragic about watching people living in a dying world and still repeating many of the same mistakes that humans have always made.
That made me think about our own world.
The foolishness of humanity shown in the manga is obviously part of its fictional world. But I couldn't help wondering whether some of it also reflects reality.
We live in a world where different groups have different interests, priorities, and fears. People can understand the same situation in completely different ways.
That made Nausicaä feel surprisingly relevant to me.
And then there is Nausicaä herself.
Some of her ideas are extremely sharp, and at times almost confrontational. But they made me stop and think rather than simply agree or disagree with her.
For me, that is what makes the manga so memorable.
I also have to mention the complexity.
There were definitely moments when I found the story difficult to follow.
But I did not necessarily see that as a weakness.
In fact, it made me want to read the manga again.
There are details and ideas that I feel I probably did not fully understand on my first reading.
That is a quality I really appreciate in a manga.
Who Should Read This Manga?
I particularly recommend Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind to people who have already watched the anime movie and want to understand its world more deeply.
If you finished the movie thinking:
"I want to know what happens beyond the movie."
Then you should definitely consider reading the manga.
You should also give it a try if you enjoy:
Deep worldbuilding
Post-apocalyptic stories
Science fiction and fantasy
Complicated political conflicts
Stories about humanity and nature
Characters whose ideas are not always easy to accept
Manga that reward rereading
However, if you are used to very straightforward manga storytelling, you may need some patience.
The artwork and panel layouts can sometimes make the story difficult to follow, especially when there is a lot happening on the page.
For me, though, that unusual quality is part of what makes Nausicaä special.
Final Thoughts
I started reading Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind because I was surprised to discover that the famous anime had a manga.
I finished it because I couldn't put it down.
The manga is far larger and more complicated than the movie, and it offers a much deeper look at Miyazaki's world and Nausicaä herself.
What I like most is that it does not give easy answers.
It shows humanity at its most confused and destructive, but also asks us to think about why people behave the way they do.
Even after finishing the manga, I felt that there were things I had not completely understood.
And perhaps that is why I want to read it again.
If you have watched the anime but have never read the manga, I think the seven-volume series is worth discovering.
You may find that the Nausicaä you thought you knew was only the beginning.
SEO Information
SEO Title:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind Manga Review: Beyond the Ghibli Movie
Meta Description:
A personal review of Hayao Miyazaki's Nausicaä manga, exploring its deeper world, complex characters, philosophy, and differences from the anime.
URL Slug:
nausicaa-of-the-valley-of-the-wind-manga-review
Blogger Labels:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Hayao Miyazaki, Manga Review, Japanese Manga, Fantasy Manga, Science Fiction Manga, Studio Ghibli
Search Keywords:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga
Nausicaä manga review
Nausicaa manga vs movie
Hayao Miyazaki manga
Nausicaä original manga
Studio Ghibli manga
Japanese manga recommendations
Nausicaä manga English review
Suggested Image Alt Text:
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga by Hayao Miyazaki
コメント
コメントを投稿